Advertising is a big commitment and takes a lot of work on its own. Putting crafts together is time-consuming. Advertising is another facet all on its own. No one will ever know you are selling crafts, if they don’t know about you. You need to be aggressive when it comes to advertising.
Advertise your crafting business using eBay. It offers you a way to get your crafts on an on-line with little cost. You will want to charge what you honestly believe the craft is worth. Even if you don’t sell something one week, it doesn’t mean you won’t get 10 bids the next week. Make your auctions come alive by learning simple HTML coding. Pictures are a must on eBay. People want to see what they are buying before they will bid on most items.
Advertise your craft business in a local newspaper. Let people in your community know that they can find you. You might say that you are selling crafts and to call you for an in-house party. Maybe you can even advertise in your church newspaper or other organizational newspapers of things you are involved in. You could advertise in your metropolitan area newspaper, but that costs quite a bit more.
In-house party ideas: In-house parties are fun and moms love to get out of their houses to have a good time with other moms. When starting your own business, it is probably best to have an in-house party at your house first. The hope is that once you have a party, you will book some parties at other people’s houses, and then book parties from their party, and so on and so on! Here are some tips for a successful in-house party:
- List of attendees and send out postcards announcing your party.
- Say when, where, and what the party is about. Don’t give too much information away on your mailing, but just enough to pique their interest.
- Serve light refreshments and have prize drawings, as well.
- Before the party you will need to make your own order form or purchase one.
- You will want to display your crafts in an attractive way, so the ladies can browse and see what wonderful items you are selling.
- Take a few minutes to talk to the ladies and tell them about your crafts. Let them know what inspired you to make these crafts and then explain each craft individually, passing them around while you are talking.
- Come up with some games for the ladies to play and give away small prizes.
- Don’t forget to let them know the expected delivery date of their products.
Business cards are professional and easy to make. If you have a computer program that allows you to make your own business cards that is a great way to get your name out there. Post business cards at your local grocery store. Give out business cards to all of your friends and family. Craft business cards don’t have to be serious. They should look fun and inviting! Crafting is a representation of fun and imagination. Your business cards should be fun and imaginative, too! Small copy stores offer inexpensive alternatives to printing business cards, as well.
Every e-mail you send to someone should have a signature line. Use this on all of your outgoing e-mails always! It does not matter who the e-mail is going to…they should be directed right to your eBay store or other on-line store.
Flyers are another good way to advertise. You can go gong-ho on a flyer! Say what you want with as much space as you need. Flyers can be distributed to neighborhoods, churches, schools, etc. This is probably the most creative way you can advertise your business. And, it really doesn’t cost very much at all (mostly your time).
There are other ways to advertise, but this will definitely get you started. Word of mouth is good, too. Don’t be afraid to tell someone about your business. They may really be interested and if you don’t say something, they will never know.